Last week I went into Mimi's preschool class to teach about our Native American roots. I called my Grandma to get some last minute details on the Ojibwe tribe. She was very helpful. (Thanks Grandma). I even bought a book that I've seen before about a little girl and her "jingle dress" that she wore in a pow wow. I was set.
It was strange to be "back in the saddle" in a classroom (but nerve-wracking a bit too. Maybe I had a lesson plan. Maybe I wrote out my objective too...maybe I need a hobby). I think it went well. I was excited that Mimi would learn about our family's history and feel proud about it. Did that happen, you ask? Well, since last week her ratio of drawings of wigwams and Indians to rainbows has gone up dramatically so I think that means that I met my objective. (well, she's drawn those things, AND 80s robot from The Muppets movie).
On the coattails of my class presentation, the theme of the week had turned into "Native American" education. (We're supposed to say "Native Americans" to be politically correct and not be mistaken as referring to Indians from India, but my whole family calls themselves Indians...so don't be offended if I do too). OR you could be like my mom and clarify, "feather, not dot" because that's not offensive either. ;)
These pictures are from a day that Bode and Mimi and I went to our little museum's craft class and did some "Native American/Indian" art. One of the stations was painting your face. Can you tell how excited Bode was??! Imagine being a two year old and someone leading you to paints and saying, "here, paint your face! Go ahead! I approve and am encouraging it." It was pretty much the best. What's the expression...? He was happier than a bird who found a french fry...?
(the best was watching his intensity..and when he started drawing all over his hair)
We're proud of our peeps in Lac du Flambeau Wisconsin on the Reservation !













No comments:
Post a Comment