Last weekend we had a grand adventure with our pals the Stromquists.
We all have been training to run in the Steamboat Half Marathon. Finally the day came!
We drove up together and left the kiddos at home with grandparents :) -thanks Oma and BT !
First stop: race packet pick up..
I mean, come ON! Could Steamboat be anymore beautiful?!?!
After a carbo load lunch...we just chilled, Steamboat style.
And meanwhile, back at home...
The night before the race I saw this...so funny :)
Then the morning of the race came!
For the first 9 years of Ben and I's marriage I had a strict rule against running together. Running is something I do SOLO. Or else it gets ugly.
BUT, as I've trained more, (and possibly gained a bit more gentleness and self-control?!) we've actually run some fun runs together.
We decided for this race we'd start out together and just see what happened.
I have to say, for the majority of the race, it was great. The scenery going down the mountain in Steamboat was magnificent: old barns, cows grazing in green pastures, a bright blue sky..pretty idyllic. I was even running a minute faster per mile than I had in training...all was well.
(Ben was even 'winning friends and influencing people' by being known as the guy who drank any beer that was offered to him by people cheering on the side or water stands serving more than just water. He was also running with a shirt that said "I run because I love bacon." :)
Then mile 10 1/2 came and suddenly my body was quitting on me. I was cramping up and my vision was getting dark. I also had the urge to be one of those people who is dramatically puking on the side of the course. NO BUENO.
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep going. It was a bummer. We'd walk a little bit, then I tried to run and feel like I was going to cramp up. At one point we could even SEE the finish line...I just couldn't make it.
Long story short, Ben ran to the finish line and frantically told Bri and Ryan and my body was "shutting down!" They scrambled to a gas station (so dramatic) and bought me gatorade and peanut m&ms. THESE are the kind of people you need in your corner!
Meanwhile, I had taken off my running bib because I was so embarrassed to be sitting on the sidewalk one half of a mile away from the finish line. A sweet couple named Pam and Brad stopped like my guardian angels. They offered me water and encouraged me (on their way to church no less). I mustered up the strength to walk through the finish line. Not quite the way I had pictured in my mind :( But, it was what it was.
After reuniting with my crew, I laid in the middle of a parking lot while Bri massaged my cramping calves. Above and beyond.
Here's the rest of the pics from the trip:
Here's our race pics:
(That's the look of a super hero...running to get his wife peanut m & ms).
This was obviously during happier moments of the race:
I probably should've just stayed there.
Love these two :)
I think I can say that the next time I'm in Steamboat, I will not be running. (unless it's running to the hot springs).
****







No comments:
Post a Comment