Wednesday, August 24, 2016

HomeWorking Together









What are the odds that these two would have virtually the same homework assignment?! To make a poster "all about" them?! So of course I had to capture it. 

***
Mimi is LOVING Second Grade. (She may or may not need an exorcism though because she's super tired and therefore SUPER everything else that isn't fun, but I've been reminding myself that this is what the first month back to school is like). Bode and I haven't even started yet (I will be his preschool teacher again this year..but this time I'll be starting the school year off from the get go and it will be FOUR days a week), but I'm already getting "pre-stressed" for the stress that will come. I'm currently like those people who live on the coast and hear that there's a hurricane coming, so they rush to the grocery store/gas station to stock up. That's me. Just a big "super market sweep" through the town of Longmont. It also doesn't help that we're remodeling our bathroom right now too...so that's a whole OTHER nesting urge ("maybe I'll pick up an extra tub of gray grout...you just never know!")

But I do have to say for the record, I've been very vocal about telling people that Bode and I will ALWAYS be together, with NO BREAK in a morose-sort of way. Until I heard that in my head and realized that the way I was saying that is actually completely the opposite of how I've been feeling. Will I miss the feeling of dropping him off for two hours and actually being able to work on pictures or sit outside at a coffee shop and read? Yes. Most definitely. (This is why I found a preschool that will take him for two hours on the day we're not at our other school. Mommy sanity time). But in truth, I'm really savoring and enjoying this year. A year isn't really that long. Especially if you consider that then for the rest of Bode's life he won't be mine to just toodle around with, like my little partner-in- crime. When something is finite, you really do treasure it more. So I'm soaking up this time with Bodes. Soaking up listening to him sing "Rock the Boat" (the VBS theme song) in the back of the car, or having him hang on the side of the grocery cart. And I can ALWAYS count on him to be up for a Starbucks drive through run (he gets a bacon and gouda breakfast sandwich, no matter what time, and I oogle and him gobbling it up and make a mental note of how satisfying it is when he eats a protein). 

But back to Mimi. She's going before Bode in this whole growing up thing, and so I can see what it's like when a child is in school full time. Even though she's a pretty good little reporter at the end of the school day and I hear a lot about what she did, she still was away from me all day. She has a whole life apart from our house. She has friends and conversations, and worries and hurts and joys. And I'm not there to witness every single one. Growing kids is definitely a gentle transition I think. It really doesn't happen over night.  In my experience, just when they've seem to outgrow the nest (and they're sheer presence in the house just feels TOO big, and the house and our world feels TOO small) they go to full time school. So I'm thankful for this transition time with even Mimi. At least I take her to school, and pick her up and cart her to her activities. I still am in her life and am at the center of organizing/supervising it all. Then she will be even bigger, more independent, then will move out. (Hopefully not too soon).

And so in this stage with Bode being at my side morning/noon and night, I hope that I keep my eyes open to be thankful for every step, knowing that Kindergarten registration comes in December and it won't be long until he too has his own "elementary" world. And I will relish in some more time alone.

Here's to SCHOOL. xo

No comments: