Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Patriotic?

Did you know that there are rules for how you hang/display/handle an American flag? There needs to be a class on this in Elementary school...or at least an app for it. Because I fear we may have hoards of future generations who don't know these correct standards...starting with my children.

I say this because this is how our 4th of July flag decorations were displayed:


I'm pretty sure that's a big (unintentional!) middle finger to our country, flag and veterans. And seeing as how we're sandwiched between two heroic veterans of war (with a neighborhood 90% comprised of them as well) I was getting a little sweaty about this. BUT, no matter HOW hard I tried, these dang flags would NOT fly right. And, after a few days, I started to realize that our mini flags that Mimi and I had stuck in the ground were grazing the ground (as in, not flying upright at all, but almost caked in mud from the close proximity to the dirt below them). I had visions of some neighbor stopping me to berate me about my lack of patriotism. I was legitimately worried. "Someone should go out there and pull all of those flags up!" I thought to myself. Good thing I finally got around to it three weeks later.

So, please country, flag and veterans, take this humble blog post as my apology and explanation. I did not intend disrespect. Next time I won't buy flags at the dollar store.

****

No comments: