Sunday, September 21, 2014

Mouse Catchers

Sorry Cinderella.
 Your dress-making mouse work crew is down one member.




We caught a mouse in our house this week.

***

And when I say we "caught" it, I don't mean in a trap. I mean Mimi and I (and Winston) literally caught it. In a cup.

Ben was out of town and Mimi and I were coloring, waiting to go pick him up from the airport. (Bode was already snoozing). I was upstairs getting my p.j.s on when I heard Mimi say, "mom! Henry has a MOUSE!" I ran downstairs to discover that Henry had the mouse IN the house. And it was alive.  I got blurry video of Henry and Winnie both batting the poor little mouse around. It was sort of funny, and I was thinking about what we should do next, Winnie picked the mouse up with his mouth and carried it to the family room. (He is obviously an amateur in this mouse catching business). The situation went from manageable to dire. The mouse was no longer near the door, it was now in our living area.  I had to get it  out of our house.

What followed next would've been a great sitcom plot. I instructed Mimi to stand on a stool with a towel that she could wave to "encourage" the mouse to go outside when it ran by. I put closed-toe shoes on and  moved our giant couch aside (hesitantly). Meanwhile, the cat who brought the mouse inside, casually strolled outside. He was no help. Winston on the other hand, was eager to help. So he'd sniff out where the mouse was under the couch, and I'd stick long things under the location to try to coax it out from under it. Keep in mind that this was a baby mouse, and my disgust and fear of it dwindled. Just a little. Finally it ran out and I was literally batting it with my yard stick trying to scoot it toward the door. 

Long story short, by the end of the night, the piano was moved, the couch was completely perpendicular and various long, stick like objects were strewn around the room. It looked like our house had been looted. In a last ditch effort, I caught the mouse under a big plastic cup. Then, not knowing what else to do, I put a big binder, my bible and a stool on top of it, with the piano bench pushed up against it. I admit, it looked a bit ridiculous. 

(Ben had the great job of picking up the cup and dumping it in the trash after he got home).

I felt proud. Two girls caught a mouse. A good lesson to teach my daughter. Girls can.

(And I also learned another fun Chiweenie fact. Not only are they great runners, 
Fact #346 They are also great mice catchers).

xxoxo

No comments: