Bode started preschool today.
And in all honesty, I had been so wrapped up with Mimi starting school (new school, full day, lunches, late starts, homework) that I sort of forgot that Bode was going. It wasn't until Back to School Night that it dawned on me that there'd be a pumpkin patch field trips, book orders and a Halloween party in this little guy's future.
In true Bode fashion, school was met with resistance.
So we got a new backpack (Spiderman...not even needed, but helpful for school hype), and a new Star Wars shirt and spiked his hair. Again, all my energies were directed at HIM liking school...I hadn't even thought about how it'd feel on my end. All I thought was "TWO HOURS BY MYSELF? TWICE A WEEK?!"
***
The first day was just an hour with some of the students...so we rolled up in the sunny afternoon and got out of the mini, ready to go.
(But not without pictures of course...apologies for the sun! I just snapped fast so he wasn't late!)
Backpack on first!
AWWW.
He was so eager to get in!
And to my surprise, he walked right in and got to playing.
WHAT?! Not what I had planned for, but a pleasant surprise...
And just like that, he was in school. I walked away and called Ben and sobbed. Sometimes these cries happen and they sneak up on you. Truly, I didn't think it'd be emotional. But something comes over you that's bigger than you...I remember crying like that when I first laid eyes on my kids, when I fell exhausted into my mom's arms after running 13 miles and watching Mimi walk into Kindergarten and Bode into preschool. Markers of milestones or overwhelming accomplishments all deserve tears (apparently).
*woa. That was WAY more schmaltzy than I intended...and now there's more...
I sat on this little iron bench and cried, trying to not face any strangers walking by. Just for a history fact, this was the same bench I stumbled over to, dumb tired from having a newborn and three year old and sat at waiting for Mimi to have HER first day of school. I awkwardly nursed Bode at this bench and made friends with another mom of a newborn. So, I guess there was no better place to be.
I had to text Beth because I had walked up on HER leaving Bennett for the first time at preschool just two weeks ago and made her spill her tears that she was fighting to hold back.
And faster than you can say "Dunkin Donuts" she was there at my bench with a coffee and hug in hand. We're so in the same seasons with our boys AND our girls; our friendship is truly a gift. I can only imagine the rest of the milestones and trials we'll process together...(over coffee..of course).
And she even took some pictures of me and Bodes...
After our impromptu friend fun, we raced to get Mimi and then pulled in for some promised ice cream. Because that's we do first days of school (and last, and potty training and...well..you get it).
(Don't worry...that's a "kid" scoop. I think Bode must've flirted with the Baskin Robbins girl or something...seriously. The laws of physics were going to win with that scoop of ice cream).
In Mimi news, she is loving school. I can't wait to pick her up every day because she's brimming with details and praises for her day. First grade is FUN. As is running into Mikaela before, after and during school.
Life is sweet.































No comments:
Post a Comment