Watching a child grow up has to be the most rewarding thing. With each hiccup of a new stage; doubting everything you knew or thought before, comes the reward of seeing them take steps for the first time, or start having adult-like conversations with you for the first time.
That's what Mimi's been doing lately. Yesterday, after we had been apart for a small time (I went to BSF, after a day at MOPS...I'm turning into a real life "church lady!"), from the backseat Mimi said, "What's your day Mommy?"
It took me a second to realize that she was asking me about my day. It was the sweetest thing. Lately, as I pick her up she randomly asks, "How you doin' Mommy?" and her voice goes up in a questioning tone, always ending with "mommy." I also overheard her asking her little kindergarten friend as I was walking up the stairs..."How was school, Ruby?"
Obviously, she's repeating what she hears me say, but she parrots it with such honest, sincere intention that it just melts me. I really am seeing more and more these days how much she says what we say. I'm filled with the great sense of responsibility that Mimi will treat other people and herself the way that we do. I'm more grateful than ever to be plugging back into the church family to make sure that we're giving her the kind of examples that we've always hoped she'd have.
"LIKE" has also become a buzz word in our home. She's always making comparisons between things...it's just another "big kid" thing that she's been doing (and as a literacy teacher, we call this "making connections"...so of course, I'm proud :) When she watches Clifford on PBS, the intro song talks about Clifford getting bigger, and she always says, "like Mimi!" Or when she's mad that she's stuck in her carseat she says, "I'm stuck like Winnie the Pooh!"
(here are also some pictures from our latest family zoo day) :)
1 comment:
i love that she references Winnie the Pooh when she's "stuck"! :)
Post a Comment