Thursday, December 8, 2011

The One That Got Away

I have to start this story with a backstory.




Mimi, like any kid (especially at Christmastime) wants a lot of things. 
I actually struggle with how to teach her to be appreciative with what she has and not always be looking to the next thing she will get (which I'm pretty sure starts by practicing what I preach!). A GAZILLION times a day she sees something and says, "Mommy, can I get that someday?" Out of default (and exhaustion) I say, "Sure, someday." (someday being the operative word). But I started to feel like I need to not say "yes" all of the time to her requests. I started to say, "we'll see" or "maybe Mims" (which made her mad. She liked the sound of "sure" more.) I suddenly started wishing that we had "Berenstain Bears and the Case of the Gimmies" in our collection...because I'm at a loss on how to control "the gimmies".

Three days ago we were at the children's consignment store here in town.  For the millionth time that day she came up to me with something and said, "mom, can I get this?" I had already told her we weren't buying anything today, so of course my answer was no. 
But this request was different. I could see that she was attached. She politely asked if I take a picture of it for Santa, so I obliged. Then I asked her to put it back. That's when I saw the genuine tear forming in her eye. "What if I put it back and another little girl gets my pony?" she asked, and I remembered all too well the pang of letting something so special go when you're a kid. I empathized. In the back of my mind I intended to come back to the store later to swoop up the $6 pony to make her Christmas morning special. Even though through the season, she's asked for everything for Christmas, she'd really hasn't asked for anything; does that make sense? This was her special present just waiting to be bought.

But, as most well intentioned plans go, the day got away from me and I didn't make it back that day. Of course I thought that this pony would be a distant memory by the next morning, but it wasn't that easy. 

Mimi woke up talking about the pony. Asking if she could write it on her Christmas list to Santa; asked how Santa would know that it was that pony that she wanted and not a different one; asked how we could tell Santa the right store to go to etc...(the morning ended with me "texting" Santa with her urgent message).

After all of that drama, I was convinced. MUST GET PONY. I basically staked Santa's existence on it. And in every parent's heart is the desire to make Christmas morning special. It's that same desire that fueled the Cabbage Patch kids and Tickle Me Elmo crazes of the past I'm sure.

I got over to the consignment store as soon as I could to swoop up that pony. 

(can you see where this is going?!)

But, it wasn't there!!!!


DANG!

Would she survive without this stuffed animal? 
YES.
Is there a chance it could quickly become just another toy in the bottom of the toy chest?
FOR SURE.

But anyone who knows me knows I'm not a quitter. ;) When it comes to things like this, I'm a bulldog-can't let it go, see a challenge conquer it, etc...(if only I applied the same tenacity to cleaning our house or something actually productive) So I called the store later to put out an APB in case the pony turned up-just in case. No luck.

I gave up.
Time passed (like a day) and even though she interrupted a conversation I was having at BSF with the woman who leads it to tell her she was getting a pony for Christmas, I still didn't feel bad that there was no pony. I chalked it up to her not getting everything she wanted. It's good for her character, right?


Until I saw this picture on my phone today:


...and now I'm the highest bidder on this pony's twin on ebay.

****

Never underestimate Santa. ;)



1 comment:

Ashley said...

oh. my. word. is this my future?