Popee took this girl (and mama) to the circus last weekend.
It felt a little indulgent..I mean we were on the verge of a trip to the most magical place on earth (read: DISNEY!). What kid gets to stuff their face with cotton candy, get a pony souvenir AND go to Disney World? I actually felt sick to my stomach about it. I like to spread stuff out, and try not to have a spoiled child. But this event is super special to my dad. He took me to the circus ELEVEN years in a row! (or is that embellished upon as the years go?!) Either way, it was our "thing." And he couldn't wait to take Mimi. Last year he took her just by himself, but this year, Mimi was playing it a little cool. She only would go if I would. And I'm usually not one to miss something with lots of lights and yummy concessions- so we both went with Popee.
So, even though it was a little close to our big trip to see the mouse, it was special none the less.
But it's really different seeing the circus through an adult's eyes, versus a child. It felt smaller, less of a big deal (again, maybe that's just seeing it through a grown up's eyes. Or maybe it was the image of the people protesting the treatment of circus animals outside before the show...? That'll kill your circus buzz. I felt kind of dirty the whole time).
Something they didn't have when I was little at the circus was this little "before the show" thing. Kids could walk around, get tatoos, see clowns up close, you name it. A pretty cool touch. (but don't you THINK about sending your kid into that bounce house without paying! I sent poor Mimi in there, not knowing, and a very stern woman scolded her. I don't think Mimi minded that much, but when I was a kid, that would've KILLED me.)
We had CLOSE seats!
In true dad fashion, he made the rounds with his camera, before the show started. I can't wait to see his pictures. I'll post them, I'm sure.
It really was special being there with Dad. We had a great time "ooing" and "ahhing" with him.
After the show, Dad treated Mimi to a Happy Meal. Getting out of the parking lot was interesting. Dad said, "This is going to take some skill to maneuver. Just remember the motorcycles." (you know, in the circus when they get eight motorcycles going around and round in a ball. It was a helpful image, and made me a braver driver cutting through the traffic! Thanks Dad).
Actually the best part of the whole day was lunch with Dad. I have a pretty awesome father. (and mom!) But it's so funny how age seems to pull back the fog to see your parents more clearly. To see them as people, with their own life experiences they've been through, amazing things they've done (like moved cross country at 19, or painted all of the great landmarks of the state), it really fills you with admiration. When you're not an annoyed teenager, you really can see that your parents are pretty great. (It was always easier to see my mom this way, but my dad could annoy me like no one else).
But lunch was full of great discussion (while Mimi chomped away at her meal). My dad's been reading some pretty heady books and was sharing his recent discoveries with me. I love how he's always learning and growing; I'm proud to be his daughter.
For the rest of the night after the circus, Mimi couldn't get enough of her new clown get up.
Thanks Popee!





No comments:
Post a Comment