Friday, January 11, 2013

Baseball Boy

Bode L-O-V-E-S sports.

Of course he has ample time to be exposed to it, considering who his dad is, but still. It's so fascinating to me how he's wired to like it. Ben doesn't watch any more sports than when Mimi was his age, and she could care less if there's a basketball game on. But if Bode sees basketball, he gets excited and points at the T.V. and will strain his neck to see it if he's in the other room. He makes loud, whooshing sounds to mimic their motions and you can just see his testosterone meter going through the roof. 

His favorite book to be read before bed is this:



And "reading" is a lose translation. Really he points to the same objects on every page and we tell them what they are. "baseball" "bat" "Michael" "baseball cards" "baseball" again and "umpire."

So it's with this love of his in mind that I've tried tricking him into wearing some of the hats he has hanging in his room. He's not really a "hat wearing kid" (he won't even stand for a hood) and I feel like I missed my window of "training" him to like my other pals. But when I wanted to see what they looked like on him one time I said, "Bode, want to wear this BASEBALL cap?! Like Jonathan in your book?!" He didn't waste one second and promptly plopped that red cap on his blonde head. Then he toddled over to the mirror in his room to take a look. I could tell by the smile and dimple he flashed that he was pleased with how he looked. 

He doesn't really keep hats on enough to wear them out of his room, but he does like to put them on and look at himself for fun. He's even started loving Daddy's hats.
















****

No comments: