Ben and I were prepping for today. We felt like we were waiting for a storm.
The storm was called... MAY.
May. The month where things end and begin and it all happens at the same time. The month that you just put your head down and go...knowing June will bring much slower days.
On this particular day (today) we had 2 softball games (make up games from the snowy weekend past) a baseball practice, a possible make-up soccer game and a photo shoot. Oh, and throw in a derby party, just for fun.
I made post-it notes for my post-it notes (because that's what I do when I have anxiety). When I woke up this morning I was determined to make this day mine. I got cash for the softball tourney, went to walmart to get bows, tall socks, snacks and a visor (all for softball) and a bowtie (for Ben's derby party). And it was only 8:00. I was OWNING the day.
I came home to Ben making breakfast to sustain the troops for the day. We lathered sunscreen, filled water bottles, tied bows on a crying child (yes, her enthusiasm was waning this morning) and prepared for a day like we've never prepared before.
By the time we all were in the car and it was moving in the direction of our destination I felt prepared and ready down to my bones.
Then we got a call.
A call from our pediatrician that Mimi's strep culture that they ran again in fact came back POSITIVE for strep. For the second time this season. The doctor explicitly said "if you had plans, go home. She's contagious." (Information that would've been useful yesterday when I sent her to school and we had dinner with friends). So, minutes from the softball fields 20 minutes away, we had to turn back home. And Mimi cried. (Even though up until that time she had been crying that she had to go. It was an awesome day).
When we got home I cried. Because why does Mimi have strep AGAIN? What are we doing wrong? And how can I follow the protocols that I know to be better and true, which are more natural with longterm benefits (a.k.a. NOT pumping her full of antibiotics) when she's CONTAGIOUS and sick? (For the second time this month I thought about how extremely hard, heart-wrenching, nowordstoexplainit it would be to have a seriously ill child. I felt beat down by the common virus).
But then something awesome happened.
Ben and I realized that we had space in a day that was going to prove to try and take us down. Our kids sat in the living room for HOURS playing legos together, not an electronic in sight. I painted a wall I'd been haunted by. Ben ran to Lowes and fixed the sprinklers. And still our children played. Happily. (As I type, I still hear their content giggles as the sun goes down).
So, as awful as it was that Mimi is sick again. That we spent a good hour and a half this am getting ready for a day that didn't happen, we were given such a wonderful gift. Space. Time. Contentment. And it was/is beautiful.
Thank you Lord. You so know just what we need.
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment