Sunday, May 21, 2017

So Long Preschool

The Story of Me and Preschool

Once upon a time I'd break out in a cold sweat every time Ben would casually mention me going back to work once the kids were in school. I couldn't imagine keeping up the pace of classroom teaching...I just didn't want to. "I'd rather work at Starbucks" I'd say.

Then, two winters ago, when Bode was a preschooler at Small Wonders, the preschool suddenly found themselves one teacher down. Something pulled at my heart to jump in. It was two days a week for 2 1/2 hours...from February to May. If I hated it, the stakes were low. I did enjoy flexing that teacher muscle again, and when I was in the classroom I knew I was tapping in to something God had created inside of me.

So I volunteered. 

And it was great. My sweet director helped me so much and made everything so easy. It wasn't even a problem being Bode's teacher. We finished out the year before I knew it and I was sold. Looking back, God was so gracious to gently lead me back into the workforce in such a way that wasn't scary (or that I didn't even realize was happening). He knew just what I needed.

Being that the spring was so successful, I signed up for another year. This time teaching four days a week. I felt the weight of responsibility a little more this time, having to start a school year from scratch and having lost my sweet director, but it was still wonderful. I loved being "Ms. Mackenzie." I grew a lot. I realized that even though I taught kinder and am a mom, there was still so much to know. I realized that I had weaknesses I wanted to grow in, both in knowledge and experience. I took SIX credit hours of classes to keep my license current. I fell in love with my little preschoolers and felt them take up a place in my heart. 

But I also scrambled. 

I began to loathe the middle of the day reporting time...not ever enough time to really accomplish anything before I had to drop Bode off at his school and make it to mine. This was tough, considering I still was trying to be successful with my photography business. I knew I could juggle, but I was constantly letting balls drop. I began to see my limits. 

But, I persevered. 

Then I was offered a very random opportunity to help with a new online publication starting up in Longmont. It felt too good to be true. I could brag about our town that I love and take pictures...and get paid for it. Suddenly, I was at a crossroads. Ben (being the realistic one of our partnership) could see that I couldn't do all three...photographer, online contributor AND preschool teacher. AND mom and wife. And, I could feel the demands of our kids' lives and schedules become increasingly more demanded. As much of a blessing that it was to rejoin the workforce, it had led me on a gradual drift from my true priorities. Also, my introverted tendencies were becoming more and more apparent. I would pour out all day, then have nothing more to give at night. I needed some quiet to be fully charged.

So, with a heavy heart I knew the right choice was to leave preschool. Simply, I needed to be investing in what brought more harmony to our home (and more money for the work). It was sad, but I instantly felt like I had more to give my family. I look forward to the fall when I can be a photographer and spend the days doing that, and the nights carting my children around like a school bus. Life is funny, with different twists, turns, detours. But I love where it takes me when I'm willing to jump and go all in. That also means jumping out when the time is right. 

Farewell preschool. What a blessing you've been. And who knows? Maybe I'll be back. xo



I loved the the flexibility of preschool. No testing. No data. Just fun, creativity and caring. Things I can do. xo

And my curriculum came from Pinterest. If it looked fun, then it was preschool-approved!






















(That time I brought a sick Mimi in and made her stay in the closet...I mean, what kind of job can you do THAT at?!)


I loved getting to instill/reinforce care for others and justice whenever I had the chance... xo


I even got to bring crafts home for Bode to do!


Thank you Lord for that opportunity. xoxo
Bless these sweet kids. May they take this wonder and love from this classroom with them wherever they go. 





No comments: