Saturday, April 7, 2012

COLOR!


My dad's a painter. A really good one too (you should call him!)

I grew up driving around with him in his big blue pick-up truck, thumbing through his paint color fan falling in love with the endless rainbow of colors. I thought it was awesome. 
I remember wishing that I had my very own color fan.

Guess what?! Now I do.

(I mean, Diamond Vogel doesn't know it's mine yet, it's on loan, but I may accidentally on purpose forget to take it back..and then feel bad about it so I will call and pay for it. Then it will be mine.)

I have this color fan so that I can start picking the colors for our NEW HOUSE!!!!

YAY! The possibilities!!!

These are the colors that I'm most drawn to:

THE REALLY BRIGHT ONES


But, I've learned a lot about decorating in our five years as homeowners. 
I've learned that neutrals on the walls are the way to go

This is after an endless array of colors have been splashed up on our walls (courtesy of Dad, and sometimes me in a weekend frenzy). We've had red walls, yellow walls, purple walls, dark gray walls..you name it.I was just so excited to be out of "rental-ville" that I expressed my excitement through my free-thinking color choices.

But the problem is that in a month when you decide that bright yellow and burgundy really don't go well together, you're stuck with a house that looks like an opened Skittles bag.

And even though I usually detest just doing what everyone else is doing, I've succumb to painting our walls beige, like everyone else (can you hear the defeat in my voice?).

Beige and neutrals are a mature choice. 


All of those choices come from this left side of the fan:
(so boring though, especially when that bright orange and deep cobalt blue are calling to me..)


I mean come on. How amazing would this blue be in my new dining room, with lots of white accents and maybe some yellow??!!

(younghouselove.com has a great guest room using this color. But somehow I know that if I did it, it just wouldn't look at put together)

So, I will paint neutral, but I'm sure in some way or another my crazy love for colors will come out...


Don't forget, I'm the girl with chartreuse back doors!
(which I'm sure is the first thing the new owners of our house can't wait to change ;)



1 comment:

The Larsons said...

YAY!!! So happy for you guys! And I think you can still have fun with color, maybe just tamer versions of the really bold ones. :) (And I love YoungHouseLove too!!) I say don't be too shy!