Whew. This is the post that I've been waiting to write.
As in, waiting to take pictures of our new house until it's "put together;" pictures hung, rugs in place, clutter picked up. Then I came back to my senses. It may be a long time until then.
So for now, here's the low down on the new house!
We're living in a neighborhood that's just a few blocks from where we used to live, but it feels like an eternity away. When we were house shopping, the biggest thing on my wish list was a great feeling neighborhood...established, quiet, charming, safe. We found a place that fits the bill!
It's an older neighborhood (as in most of our Longmont friends grew up in this neighborhood). A lot of our neighbors are grandparents. Which means that at any given day at noon, you can see someone out in their front yard mowing, grooming, planting...it's a really pretty place to live! (I hope that they don't hold us to their standard! We will try! But different life stages :) Having grandparents as neighbors also means lots of baked goods delivered...already! We've had our third "welcome" stop by last night. It's the sweetest thing ever. Since this neighborhood is so established there's a strong sense of community. They have annual events like "fancy fox" parties (I don't know what that is! But as long as it's not code name for a 60 and over swingers party, then I'm IN!), BBQs and holiday events. While the kids and I were out in the front yard playing last week, a nice older gentleman stopped in his car and introduced himself. His name is Marvin and he was the president of the HOA. He took down our info in a small little notepad (with a REAL pencil and paper!) and said he'd get our names to Pam, who's the head of the Welcoming Committee. Literally. I didn't know those really existed! Sweet, sweet, sweet. Also, this is the neighborhood that all of Longmont (included the Turrills) drive through to see Christmas lights. I'm really excited about that (no pressure to Ben, but I have a "Grizwold" type display in mind for this year). They also scatter luminaries around the whole neighborhood on Christmas Eve. I love being involved. I was a Student Council nerd, Cheerleader and Sorority wannabe. This is right up my alley! I've already signed up to pass out fliers when needed around the neighborhood. :)
Okay, about the house. It's beautiful. It's got good "bones" as they say, and it's a place you can picture growing up kids in. It's older (like 1973 old). But, it's been updated and personalized in a great way, and it's that charm that drew us in. I just knew that with a new paint job on the inside and our furniture, it could be great. I took some "Before" and "After" shots. It looks like we did major makeovers, but it's all just paint. Thank goodness for Popee. It's about as close to Samantha Stevens as I've ever felt. I just pointed to a wall, named the color, and POOF! There was my vision! (I'm sure that my talented dad would say otherwise ;)
Here we go!
(not really sequential)
Dinning Room
Front window seat
(sorry for the direction!)
These are flanking the window seat..
Those are my Poppy pics from my sweet friend Angela, who took them in Italy cause she knows I like poppies (what a girl!), and below are old sermons and books by Ben's grandpa, passed on to Ben from his aunt Karen.
I've waited our whole marriage to have a place to display them.
Couldn't be more perfect.
getting real.
This is what the rest of the front room looks like right now. We're loving having carpet for Bode to learn to walk on.
Foyer!
my first favorite part of the house!
I picture a great little table, big vertical mirror resting on it, with two lamps on each side.
Someday.
(oh and maybe a topiary or two)
Ben's a golf guy.
This hadn't had a place until now!
Looking out from the foyer
The view from the "family room" to the kitchen
This is a good spot for a "BEFORE" picture:
(there was a dark redish putty color. We lightened it up and had dad paint the brick white)
Our messy kitchen
our backyard with "potential"
(like potential Tetnus shot...but soon, maybe grass)
down to the basement
bedroom
(hasn't been painted yet)
and current "rumpus room"
(also a great place to use all of my old school furnishings!)
Amazing remodeled bath in basement..
Julie, this is all yours in June!!!!
With this:
and this, right outside your window!
going back up to kitchen:
an armoire that they left...dad painted it white and it's now in Mimi's room, just waiting for American Girl dolls to be displayed in it (Mimi actually said it, but I thought it!)
Our office!
upstairs hall
Our room
Whew. There's more to be seen, but that's a snippet.
Come and see for yourself :)
***
2 comments:
when can we come!?!?! i'm so jealous of all the beautiful space and the big backyard. great find! (and old!? our house is 1906 ;) )
love, love, love. so much character and the space...oh the space! i want to come to the fancy fox party too! (as long as it isn't a swingers party) ;) all those old people will LOVE YOU and your kiddies!!! I am sure you are the talk of the neighborhood...that young mom with the two adorable kids.
Post a Comment