We are finally getting SNOW in Colorado!
It's been a very very dry winter.
Let's just say that Bode got new snow boots and gloves for Christmas and the only day he's worn them was...on Christmas.
I bought the kids sleds at Target a few weeks ago. They were $2. Apparently even Target had given up on the white stuff coming down in our great state.
But last week and today it's coming down!!!! I thought that Bode would LOVE playing in the snow. Last week I bundled everyone up and did my duties as "awesome mom" and suggested we go play outside. Last time we tried this, it did not go well. I was hoping that it'd be different this go around. No dice.
After 10 minutes of bundling, we got outside and Bode fell, hands first in the snow. Then he couldn't get up because he was lacking mobility due to all the layers (think little brother in "A Christmas Story"). He hated his boots because they made him walk like Frankenstein. He hated his gloves because they kept him from picking up his golf club. It was comical. (but not in that moment).
Then Mimi started crying. For no apparent reason. So our sweet, retired, always home (and sometimes spying) neighbors got to hear me yell, "WHHAATT'S WROOONG?!" and also "THEN GO INSIDE!!!!" to my crying children as I frantically tried to get one row of shoveling our driveway in. It was as fun as it sounds.
We were back in the house and our snow fun was over before it even began.
I actually took a video of my children standing in the front room, crying, because I had to find some way to think it was funny. I sent it to Ben and my mom...
I probably won't post it on here because it feels cruel. Who takes videos of their crying children to laugh at later? I'll spare your hearts.
Here's pictures chronicling our adventures:
Before you report me, that boy DID have gloves on...he just pulled them off. Then fell in the snow. Then got miserably cold.
This is probably where I put the camera down. I couldn't yell at my kids, shovel AND take pictures at the same time.
****
Low and behold, then next morning, at the crack of 6:00 am, Bode was adamantly insisting that he go out in the backyard. Even though we reminded him of his incriminating video from the day before, he couldn't be swayed. So we put a hats and boots and coat over his P.J.s and let him go outside. In the 10 degree weather. We thought he'd realize that it was too cold and that we were right and beg to come back in, much like when we let Henry the cat outside and he run back in and we feel smug.
Nope.
He loved it.
Of course.
(now who's smug?)
The picture I didn't get was Ben going out in his P.J.s and barefoot to gather our boy (after much pleading from the window for him to come back in before the neighbors judged).
Adventures in Parenting, chapter 22.
*****















No comments:
Post a Comment