Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New Must-Have

I have just found a life-changing product. Seriously. No joke. And when that happens, I call my mom immediately, and tell her that she must have the new-found product...then I blog about it :)

****

My good friend Rachel Volk let me try a couple of Norwex microfiber cloths (that she's started selling) in hopes of me giving her an honest review of what I thought. 

As a mom, our capacity to hold new information, or put in effort to anything else but just trying to exist is usually full. So when something new comes along, it usually takes three or four people mentioning it over and over for me to want to pay attention- we don't have time to care about gimmicks that don't work (even though I have been swayed a few times to almost want to buy those crazy workouts on the infomercial reel at midnight...). Thank goodness for Rachel coming to my house to gift me these microfiber cloths and explaining it to me, or else I probably would've missed out on the awesomeness of it until the kids were in college and I actually had time to care!

I'll save you the work of researching what these are for yourselves, so you can get on board too and love them like I do :)

What: Norwex is a company based out of Norway (love those Scandinavians!) whose core product are these microfiber cloths. The thread count is crazy high (picture a human hair cut 200 times). The tighter weave helps them trap the yuckiness of whatever you're wiping up or cleaning and hold it (instead of just keeping it on the surface to be spread all over). They also have silver in the inside, which is a natural anti-microbacrobial agent (Rachel told me that that's where silverware originated! Silver is more hygienic...who knew?!). So the idea is that these cloths wipe up the bacteria on the counters or your bathroom (or body...they have body cloths) and then trap them inside. They allow you to just clean with water! Even though I've tried to go more green with my cleaning products, I am a recovering Lysol addict- sometimes I think if it doesn't smell like lemon, it's not really clean. I was anxious to see if I could be weaned off to use these cloths properly...you don't use ANY cleaning agent.

Why: Obviously if these products are as awesome as promised, people would be motivated to use them for various reasons. Maybe some would be excited to use them because they don't necessitate chemicals in your house and on eating surfaces. Some maybe because you save money on needing lysol for kitchen, then the bathroom, then windex for windows...etc... OR, if you're like me, those things are a benefit, but I'd only use it if it was BETTER than what I'm doing already. I was anxious to try it.

How: Just wet the thicker cloth (technical term) with water and wipe! And have faith that the germy stuff is getting absorbed and trapped inside better than with a sponge or kitchen towel or Clorox wipe (Rachel told me about this study:  youtube video about Norwex  where they tested raw chicken protein on a counter. Check it out. Basically, with a clorox wipe or anything else, the chicken protein stayed on the counter AND the surface of the wipe! So you're just spreading it around! These are the thing that would've made me want to stick my head in the sand unless I had a better solution. But it made sense...if the thing you're wiping with isn't super absorbent, of course it'd just keep the germs on the surface!). Then there's also a different cloth called a polishing cloth. It's supposed to stay dry and is useful for polishing granite or windows, etc...after you clean it.


So I tried this all for myself!
(woa. Sorry this is so long-winded and "commercial-like!" I just wanted to give you the full picture:)


Monday morning, I faced our kitchen in all of its post-Super Bowl Seven Layer Dip glory. The counters were sticky and coated. I, like most moms, like a clean kitchen. I find myself wiping the counter at least three times an hour, just to have it get dirty again. And with dark granite, it actually really never "looks" clean...just streaky. Unless I spray a product on it and buff it out. Even then, no dice most times.

I almost grabbed my sponge and cleaning product, then remembered the new cloths I had. I wanted to try them, but felt like for a good "first clean" of the morning, I wanted to "disinfect" and do it my old way. I decided to give the cloths a try anyways...just to get it off my checklist of "I tried that."

I wet the microfiber cloth and wiped the counter. Then the stove. You really can tell the quality of the cloth...it definitely felt super absorbent, like a really nice, high quality bath towel. It felt effective already. Then I buffed it all out with the polishing cloth. Then I stood back in amazement and pride. The counter looked (and really felt) so so clean! Even the greasy stove. I was a believer! Then I took a million iphone pics to show the proof to my mom (I like to send her pictures of clean household fixtures). It really was awesome. I was excited about our new addition to the house. I could definitely see using this now all of the time. 

DIRTY

SPARKLY CLEAN



HALF DIRTY/HALF CLEAN
you can tell how excited I was, by how many pictures I took...



Now Ben won't feel the need to segregate sponges (he doesn't like the idea of wiping dishes with the same sponge that I bleached the counter with), and I hopefully won't gather a collection of stinky, mildew-y towels in a pile by the laundry room...only to return and get stinky and mildew-y again.

You wash these puppies too..in hot and no fabric softener, but then they're good to go!

I even put the cloths to test on our finger-smudged glass coffee table. As lazy as it sounds, it was so nice to just grab the two cloths from the kitchen and go to work. As opposed to trying to remember to grab the windex from the upstairs, then a paper towel, etc...i wiped it down with the wet cloth, then polished it and it looked great!


So there you have it! If you'd like you can purchase your own from Rachel. I'll give her info at the end of this post. She also has parties...a great excuse to get lots of product for free without buying anything. 

I wouldn't steer you wrong-These really do rock :) The way I see it, the tools you use for a job really do matter (I found this out after using the cheap paint brushes that left long hairs from the brush on our bathroom wall. You're welcome, new owners of that house :). These are just really good tools to clean with.


They also have a ton of other products (like a body cloth...Rachel said she's a lot less dry this winter from using them minus all of the soap...).

Happy cleaning!!!!

Rachel Volk
Norwex Sales Consultant
rachelvolk.biz@gmail.com
303-817-2296

No comments: