Friday, May 16, 2014

Granby

A few weekends ago, we had a little mountain getaway....

and it was amazing.

I was actually skeptical that going somewhere so close to home (and taking our kids) would give me the refreshment I was so needing,  but it really did. Lately I've been struggling to balance the fullness of life right now. Taking on ANYTHING else besides being a mom feels impossible, yet in this season of life we've got a lot going on. But, the truth is, I love all of it. Really, none of it feels thrust on me and most of it feels like choice. So I've just come to accept that this is a full time of life. Full of life, joy, relationships, adventure...it's bursting at the seams. I also know that there will no doubt be seasons that look different down the road. So I will drink up all life has to offer right now and just try to enjoy the ride.

(and of course, in many stress-filled, sweaty moments during my day, that's easier said than done).

Enter: Vacation.

I literally teared up the other day watching "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." Not because of the touching subject matter. But because he was walking up to a brownstone in NYC, and I suddenly wanted to travel so bad that it hurt my heart. I think that Ben and I are past due for a vacation. I want to see so much more of the world than I have, and it's really hard to sit on that desire. I'm afraid that my adventurous side will shrivel up and die if I don't use it soon. (Or that my adventurous side that doesn't really quite exist won't be developed properly). Either way, I want to be in the middle of a city, sipping espresso and taking in the sights...whether it be Paris or Barcelona or NYC...(notice that I didn't pick any spots where coffee isn't celebrated).

So, with that back story, you can see why I was skeptical about how Granby Colorado would fill my need for travel. But it really did. It was magical. Getting out of the house, away from my computer and website and day to day routine was amazing. It showed that I don't really have to go far for an escape.

The whole reason we were in Granby was to help surprise Ben's good friend Matt Jensen for his birthday. His amazing (and sneaky) wife Diane planned this getaway for him. We were able to stay at Andy and Fred's place...(the luxuriousness of the accommodations probably had a lot to do with my ability to relax the minute we walked in the door). We all had so much fun together. Drew even came up and joined us for Saturday night. 



There was lots of deck time, card games, keg beer and naps. 





(stop with this family...of course there were going to be photoshoots)










This boy spent his time throwing rocks off the back deck...FINALLY. A place where you can chuck rocks and not get in trouble!





...and on this trip, I gained an apprentice!







Natalie's a true girl...always wanting to approve any images...







Happy Hour




 Saturday morning...




The kids had lots of fun playing together :)


Bode loves his baby friends. It's ridiculous how much he asks for Baby Emerson to be at our house...

so I think that love translated well into being around Baby Natalie.


And rule number one of babies is don't touch their faces, or hands. I'm always on Bode like a hawk about that so we don't spread germs. And he's actually pretty good. Not too invasive....





So imagine my surprise and shock when I come in to see THIS:


This is real. Promise. I just accidentally caught it!

WHHAAT?! 

I was freaking out. Mostly because of the cuteness, but also about the germ factor. 
I know when I had a nine month old, I didn't want a boy goobering on her! Luckily Matt and Diane thought it was great... 

phew.



Then they both crawled off into the sunset.

Our late morning walk...


More throwing things...

Mimi, getting awesome on her bike: )


 Golf cart time...






Saturday night:



The kids loved having uncle drew with them!



We had a yummy dinner, then played Mad Gab. Holy moly. That is a FUN game. (if you like laughing at people and making fun of them.. ;)


Sunday morning we all had to pack up. But not without some last minute sword fighting with Uncle Drew



And more Baby Natalie pics...








Then it was time to pack up the cars...

(did I mention we were only there two nights?)


I couldn't leave without a golf cart ride myself...
it takes me back to my old beverage cart days.


 Diane has always been obsessed with Devil's Thumb Ranch, and has never been. We were literally minutes from it, so of course we had to stop on the way out of town.

It was windy...



But how precious is this picture? xo


We proposed the idea of living all together and being squatters in the mountain house, just so we could stay in "mountain time" forever. But we realized that may not work out well. So sadly the time came to say goodbye :(


Hugging Uncle Jenkins...




And Baby Natalie...








 See what I mean about our "full" life...

we're so blessed to have people we love near and far.

xoxo

Here's to a small break.

(and speaking of a small break, Winston got to stay with Nana and Gpa and Griffin while we were gone...It was like Club Med, but for dogs. See for yourself):







No comments: