Monday, September 26, 2011

Better Than Disney World...

Okay. Really nothing's better than Disney World, but this was a close second.

On Friday Ben took off work and we made a family trip to the Denver Children's Museum. We wanted some fun family day (I actually voted for a trip to Ikea, but I was outnumbered...). But we were definitely sold on the Children's Museum when I saw online that they had a "Be A Veterinarian" exhibit. 

It didn't disappoint.

Mimi walked into that room, popped on a lab coat and was in animal-lover heaven. It was magical. 



Other Vets, busy at work:






Bode Vet:



So fun!

Afterwards I was on a mission to have my very own "$40 a Day" (like the Rachel Ray show...she goes to different cities and tries to eat for $40 a day. She really annoys me, and the episodes are becoming a bit outdated, but I can't stop recording it on my DVR and watching religiously). So, we set off to try to explore a new part of Denver and find lunch. We left the car parked at the museum and walked down towards the Aquarium. It was so fun to walk an area that we normally drive right by. Who knew the spot by the museum is so cool. You're literally in the shadows of the rollercoasters of Elitches, and there's a trolly as well as a sweet little playground.


There was a mexican food restaurant really close by, but Ben thought it looked sketchy (maybe because it shares a building with a medical maryjane dispensary...) so we kept walking. 


In $40 A Day, Rachel Ray is always big on asking people who work or live in the area where to eat. She calls them "locals." I wanted to find a "local" to ask, so I ran into the aquarium to ask the girl working at the ticket counter where we should go for lunch. (Ben laughed at me for finding a local, especially since WE'RE locals! But, really not of that area! ;) She suggested a bar and pizza place down the street. So we took a fun, sunny fall walk down the Platte River trail and enjoyed a new part of Denver.







We ended up at My Brother's Bar. A long-standing establishment with dark wood and a cheaper bar menu. And, in true Rachel Ray fashion, I assaulted a group of older men leaving and asked them if they liked their lunch.. (cue Ben shirking away in embarrassment..). They suggested the burgers, so in we went. And it was a success! 








On the way there and back, we also utilized the free bouncy castle by the aquarium-another great deal to be had in Denver :) 











It was a fun family day out (Rachel Ray inspired )

1 comment:

Caldwell Family said...

Whats better than Disney??? Experiencing the Turrills in person and not just through a blog!!! We loved our time with you! It was wonderful to meet Bode.