Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Diaper Diaries

(This is my own "Wee Willy Winkie"..one shoe on and one shoe off ;)

I am a "stay at home mom" which sometimes translates as the person who spends the money but isn't making any...lets face it :) (Just to be clear, Ben has never expressed that, but it's the truth). So, it feels productive to me to off-set my Starbucks runs that I can't seem to live without by pulling in random income or finding new ways to save money. Hence my love for consignment of things we don't use and signing up for any and every Chick-Fil-A event (among other things).

So, when I started learning more and more about cloth diapers through another blog I was reading (Younghouselove), and how much money it can save you, I was intrigued. They are of course not for everyone,  (I fully embraced the convenience of disposables with Mimi) but I'm home with no daycare, etc...so why not try it? Plus, I was so curious about the whole "cloth diaper thing" with Mimi, but was too overwhelmed by the information to really do anything about it.

So, at eight-ish months pregnant I went to a store in Boulder, tried to follow the sales lady's cloth diaper jargon and spend a hefty penny on some cloth diapers and supplies (Ben loves that: 'Spend money to save money!'). Those said diapers have since (up until last weekend) been sitting in a corner in Bode's room, still in the bag. 

They intimidated me.




If you do some online research, you see that just like there are a GAZILLION different brands/types/colors/kinds to cloth diapers, there are equally as many theories/instructions about how to wash them. Apparently you can "ruin" your diapers and make them smelly by using the wrong kind of detergent/storage method/water temp...a yi yi! I spent way too long online trying to make sense of it all, wondering why I even ventured down this road. It was definitely "paralysis by analysis." I was stuck. And scared of my cloth diapers.

But, after pre-washing them for absorbancy (per instructions...I'm a "follow the instructions" girl...thanks mom), and buying the "right soap" (and cursing the damn diapers the whole way home...) we were ready to get started. 

Yesterday we took the plunge and tried our first one.

It was great! 
They are cute (bulky yes, but nothing too bad) and they kept Bodes dry! I stuck the wet liner in a dirty cloth diaper bag that can be laundered and didn't even have to wash the outside cover because it wasn't dirty.

The second diaper, not so great :( I may have left him in it too long, or put it on wrong (or that one kind...I had a few that were on sale that I purchased) sucked. Either way, he just was a little wet, but we dealt.

Today we're back at it and two successful diapers down. I've told Ben I've committed to the "30 day trial;" if we don't have it down and it makes our life too hard, we will throw in the cloth nappy. But, in my little life as mommy at home, it's sort of an exciting adventure. And if this does work, maybe I can get my caramel macchiato once in awhile, guilt-free ;)
(right.)


*Disclaimer: all of you mom friends out there, you are allowed to roll your eyes at me and be annoyed at my newest venture. I think I was a little that way when someone started cloth diapers...it's like "why do you have to go and be an over-achiever?!" Just remember, it's not for everyone and modern progress is a good thing!!!  No one could judge you for taking advantage of disposable diapers to make the hardest job on the planet easier . Just remember, this is all motivated by my desire to free up more money in the budget for Starbucks ;)


This is how Bode feels about it all.
(Does anyone else think this picture is hilariously ironic?! :)

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Good for you- I am sure they will get easier and more natural. I know so many people who LOVE them!