Tuesday, August 30, 2011

SCHOOL!

Mimi is starting PRESCHOOL! 






Even though it's preschool and not kindergarten, it feels just the same and just as big! We still shopped for school supplies, went to Back To School Night and have her lunchbox ready to go (with her name in sharpie marker on the side of course!)

When we went to Back To School Night I was giddy with excitement...and so was Mimi. While I was teaching kindergarten, I couldn't wait to be on the other side of the door. This was it. How funny to be the PARENT in the Back to School Night crowd. I heard about FIELD TRIPS and BOOK ORDERS and all of that good stuff, as Mimi played outside with the other kids.

When we woke up the next morning after Back to School Night, Mimi said, "so mom, what time do I go to my school?" I had to tell her that the first day wasn't for a week... She was bummed.

But, then the "first day jitters" hit.. 
She sort of lost it on Saturday. Poor girl. I've never really heard her express her fears like she did-I'm not sure if we've just read "Berenstain Bears Go To School" too much and she was borrowing that story line, or she really was apprehensive about starting, but either way, it kind of broke my heart a little. There have been so many adjustments going on around here...I'm sure it was all just catching up with her.


But, I knew that she'd be fine. 


...and today came, and she did great!







Armed with her "sensible school/play" outfit ( I had basically read her the riot act about wearing good clothes to play in and sneakers, afraid that she would pick her silkiest dress and sparkle shoes to wear. We didn't want to be that family! First impressions matter ;) So we picked out a tank top and leggings. But the next morning, I thought about the big-ness of the day...it was the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! Maybe she should spruce it up a bit..? But after my lecture the night before, she wouldn't have it. No dress for her! I think she was comfy and cool and that's really all that mattered! Heck, I even was allowed to pull her hair back a little-but no bow. I didn't want to push my luck).





More cheesy mom pictures...


Bode and I walked her in, made friends with another couple who had a one week old baby, shared incoherent conversation with them due to our glazed-over sleep-deprived state (at one point, she couldn't remember her little girl's name and I called Mimi a boy. Yikes. We really shouldn't be allowed on the road), and dropped Mimi off.


I was glad she was back to her old, social self when she said, "I want to play by myself Mommy." We kissed and were out the door! YAY!


Way to go Mimi! Pats on the back all around.
(Today was a short day, Thursday she will be there the full amount and Ben will come to drop her off too)


AND, check out this cute lunchbox! Thanks Nan and Rodger!



No comments: