Saturday, December 22, 2012

Update From the Sick Ward

Well, we're back to the ol' motto..."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," (just heavier on the worst these days). Best: snuggling with a boy who  shouts "MA!" at me like John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" and lots of extra time to do puzzles and color with my little girl. Worst: that little boy was STILL throwing up and losing weight so he had to go to the doc and is now on medicine. Oh, and now has a phlegmy cough like his sister. And that little girl doing the puzzles really just wants to play with a friend and bust out of the sick house, but no one was around to play with...we've felt very lonely.

I love my post about what a sick kid has taught me. It was pretty cheery and rosy for a girl covered in vomit and not sleeping. That Pollyanna outlook disappeared around day six or seven of this wave of sickness. Very quickly, I turned a little cabin-feverish and pretty crazy. 

Here's how I've been trying to cope:

making lists for when I actually have a life again to see movies...

Chick Fil A peppermint shakes (which I decided I should feed my skin and bones boy after a few days of not puking. Not a great idea...)

One night after Ben got home I bolted out to Target with a crazed look in my eye and a Target Red Card...not a good combination. I bought a ton of stuff out of self-pity, and took pictures of the stuff I didn't buy because it wouldn't fit in my cart:

(funny I'd take a picture of this, right?)


(oh, don't you worry. This reindeer DID come home with me. I mean it has a red clearance sticker on it, so it was basically free).

What I didn't take a picture of was the giant blue corduroy bean bag that rode around in my cart with me for awhile (and was a pretty handy place for sitting in while I tried to think about all of the things I half-hazardly had thrown in my cart).

More things we've done:

Made really large, creepy, decorated lists to post all around the house:

sent desperate, POW-type texts to Ben at work, in hopes that he'd come home early (maybe showering and getting dressed and THEN sending the picture would've helped my chances..?)


gave Bode another haircut...I am pretty proud of it. No ears were lost.

Helped Mimi make a collar for Henry.
(okay, I didn't help at all. I sat on the couch and read a book while she used scissors, sharpies and an arsenal of adult craft supplies).





Here's our little boy at the doctor's...
the only ray of hope and sunshine we've had.
Thank you Zofran!






We're thankful that he seems to be doing better on the tummy front...it was good to see him smile again!


 In these pictures, it's like you can SEE the medicine slowly kick in and start working...

big smile:

bigger smile:

BEAMING!

There is hope. And I know that we're not the only ones going through this. Of course, as in any hard time, you suddenly see that it could be worse. Just hoping we can join the outside world again soon, and be reconnected with friends and family. Just in time for Christmas :)

(which is projected to be a WHITE Christmas!!!!!! No pressure, weather, but that would be AWESOME :)


No comments: