Monday, November 14, 2011

Making a Move



we are moving!!!!

It's still kind of crazy to say that. Ben got a promotion with his company in California. We've been praying over this decision for a long time. We knew that to move up, Ben was maybe going to have to look in other states for a position-but we really hoped that wouldn't be the case. So we prayed and prayed and hoped that God would make a way for us to stay. Two positions even came up in Colorado recently, so it seemed like God was answering that prayer. But those didn't pan out. My actual prayer had been that Ben would get a Colorado job promotion, BUT, if he didn't, that it'd be confirmation to me that it'd be the right time to leave. And that's what happened. Even though leaving is not what I would've chosen, Ben and I really do have a peace about it because it feels like this is how we're being led. And really, life is an adventure. This is just a chapter in it all. And mostly, we just trust the Lord. He's taken care of us and provided for us through every step of life, even when we couldn't see what was coming next. He knows what's best and we know that if we stick close to Him and try to follow His leading for our life, there's no better place to be. 

It reminded me of this poem that I heard once during a summer as a camp counselor with Ashley in Austin. It's just kind of perfect in describing how we feel: 

A Tandem Ride With God
I used to think of God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die. He was out there, sort of like a president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn't really know Him.
But later on, when I met Jesus, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Jesus was in the back helping me pedal. I didn't know just when it was He suggested we change, but life has not been the same since I took the back-seat to Jesus, my Lord. He makes life exciting. When I had control, I thought I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points.
But when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places and at break-through speeds; it was all I could do to hang on! Even though it often looked like madness, He said, "Pedal!" I was worried and anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer and I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into adventure. And when I'd say, "I'm scared", He'd lean back and touch my hand.
He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey, our journey, my Lord's and mine. And we were off again. He said, "Give the gifts away; they're extra baggage, too much weight." So I did, to the people we met, and I found in giving I received, and still our burden was light.
I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He'd wreck it, but He knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear high rocks, fly to shorten scary passages. And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places, and I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, Jesus.
And when I'm sure I just can't do any more, He just smiles and says... "Pedal."

I know that this move is a challenge for our family as well, as they learn to trust God for our future with us. I know it's hard. And breaking the news was not my favorite part of the whole thing. But I do look forward to them being on the adventure with us, and to spending quality -vs- quantity time with all of them when they come out to visit (a.k.a. grandparent and turrill family time at Disneyland ;)


Just like the poem says, God is good and I trust Him and know that he has great things in store for us all. And, you can't grow in life or in faith, if you never take a step out.


*****


(another testament to how well God knows what we need...the NIGHT that Ben decided to apply for the CA job, I found out that my good friend Allie Brownlee -who's been living newly married in New Zealand- was also moving out to CA with her husband to the same area, at basically the SAME time! How amazing is that?!?! That makes me excited :)




Now, speaking of the details of WHERE? and WHEN?...we still don't know a lot. Ben is waiting for that call. But right now I'm relishing living in the vagueness. Soon enough there will be deadlines and timelines and to do lists...for right now I'm having fun not being under so much pressure. And we're trying to purge our house like crazy and lighten our load, as well as try to not make our house look like we're a bunch of hoarders! 


We will keep you posted with our details. Thanks for supporting us through this transition :)





4 comments:

Ashley said...

woohoo and boohoo!

The Larsons said...

I love and support you guys, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it ;) Colorado will miss the Turrills. CA is lucky to get them.

Taryn said...

Congratulations to ben! I am so excited for you guys. You seem to have a great attitude toward this whole thing. I can' wait to see what God has in store for you.

Allison said...

Can't wait to be neighbors Mack!!!! It truly makes me so excited to move there! See you in a couple of months :)