Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day

Yesterday was a pretty great day.
Sometimes when there's a lot of expectation for a certain day to be great (Valentine's Day and Anniversary), there's a good chance it will fall flat on its face.
Luckily, yesterday wasn't one of those days.



We dropped Mimi off at preschool, armed with her homemade valentine's
(after all of our crafty, organic hard work, I had a moment of doubt the other day that after she saw Princess store bought Valentine's, she'd be embarrassed of hers. Suddenly I felt like the mom who was making my kid wear only hand-made clothes. The mom from "About a Boy" came to mind...luckily, like most things I over-think, this didn't come to fruition. Preschoolers, thankfully, are still simple. She didn't even notice the Valentines, but went right for the candy!)

After all the scrubbing on the house and thanks to the DRY Colorado winter, (and recovering from pregnancy and nursing where every nutrient in my body is being sucked out) my finger nails are a splitting, chipped, dry mess. To me, there's nothing that makes me feel prettier than pretty hands...but this is a luxury for sure!

Feeling brave, I called up a nail place, and with Bode in tow, went to get a Valentine's Day manicure!

We found the SWEETEST older Vietnamese woman who worked in her shop by herself. She was older to middle-aged and didn't seemed phased at all by my infant and the cheerio trail that followed him. She said moms come in all the time! She even offered to let me hold him while she worked! Luckily, Bode was happy rolling on the floor on his blanket with toys, and I only had to hold him briefly. She kept saying "He's so easy!" I felt thankful. And with every splash of red on my nails, I felt a little bit more alive and positive about the day's outlook.

Then our sweet new friend cuddled Bode while my nails dried. I don't know what it is about this boy, but women go ga ga over him...it goes from the typical baby-admiration to obsession. He's a ladies man. She couldn't get enough of him as he smiled sweetly and gazed at her with his big blue eyes. Manicure with 6 1/2 old  was a SUCCESS! 

(*insert picture of our new friend holding Bode here..I wanted to take one so bad, but restrained myself*)

Then Bode and I were off to Mimi's  preschool to help pass out Valentine's. As if on cue, Bode fell asleep in his seat/stroller and I was free to be a classroom helper without having a baby to distract. It was perfect. Cupid was smiling down on us!

After school we met up with my dad to have a Valentine's Day/grandkid catch up lunch. Again, at a time of day that is usually not our best (after school/lunchtime crankiness), everyone was WONDERFUL. Even in spite of the very crowded Panera, it all was so pleasant. Even the sun was warming up the day. I think that I heard angels singing!










Then dad tried out some new photography equipment and I got some pictures of me and my two Valentines:




















***
Then we all anxiously awaited Dad's early arrival home from work, along with his promised dinner feast (cooked by HIM. I've never been so excited to just lounge on the couch while dinner was being made. Best gift ever.)


In the meantime, Mimi changed into her "dance outfit" and ordered me to be her dance teacher. I caught some of her moves on camera:















Yay for Valentine's Day!!! :)

No comments: