Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Who Needs Sleep?!

Um. Apparently I do.

Sleeplessness does weird things to you. You just don't necessarily notice them or attribute them to being sleep deprived because when you're in this stage of life, it's just your norm.


(latest victim of my absent-mindedness)



Things I've done recently:

1. mailed Valentines to friends and family with their street address. And our city and zip code.

2. Caused a head-on collision with another woman's shopping cart as I rammed her son in his little "car"...leaving them and any bystanders in a state of shock. (and me shopping at super speed the rest of the time to avoid the embarrassment of seeing any of them later in the store). Oh, yeah, and in that "fast shopping" I came a millimeter away from another woman's cart. This time there was no "car" or child involved. Just another reason to find another grocery store to shop at.

3. Drug a bright orange traffic cone away from the parking lot at Mimi's school. Until I stopped to investigate what the loud noise was under the car, just to have a woman standing nearby yell to me, "you're dragging a CONE!" No joke, my first thought was, "I hope that wasn't the woman who witnessed me and my reckless driving at the grocery store." 


I almost didn't post these little anecdotes because I'm too proud. I was too proud of my sweet "baby/sleep training" skills with Mimi the first go round. Too proud of my "nerves of steel" that let her cry when I knew it was best. And too proud (or maybe tired) to get any advice on the matter. Don't worry. I have the books. I've read them cover to cover and highlighted as well as sticky-noted the pages. I've even tried my same techniques. For weeks. (albeit, not very consistently). Bode is just not so much a "rock" of a sleeper. At least not at this stage. He doesn't take 2-3 hr naps, and he isn't sleeping through the night. Just like during the stage of trying to get pregnant, a million people will tell you A MILLION things that "worked for them" and they swear will work for you. Rice cereal (nope), switching to formula (the boy won't take a bottle...but we ARE getting good with a cup), etc...Right now, it just is what it is. And like any thing in parenting, you just make it work. It's really not that bad. On average we're talking 2 times a night. And please don't read this as complaining. I just had gathered up those funny stories of my recent mishaps and was excited to share with the class. As well as update my friends who read my blog and I've shared many a conversation about this subject (because sleep problems seem to be something that plagues all of us at one point or another). Thank you dear Bode for teaching me that I'm not perfect. Shoot. I really thought I was getting close.. ;)


But seriously. Is there anyone in the whole world who would be good at hearing this little sweet thing cry?! I'm a big sucker. 







*It does need to be said that we've had some victories. We've committed to a week of "crying" and each night the time has decreased...it wasn't that bad. Last night it was only 10 minutes! * But then that's just to get him to get to 12/1am to eat...baby steps!

2 comments:

The Larsons said...

you're a rockstar, and rockstars don't need sleep. that's my theory. :) You rock!

Caldwell Family said...

oh i am so cracking up about the cone still!!! i went back to work yesterday and the dumbest questions came out of my mouth!!! I think I need to go back to school and start at the kindergarten level:) (or just sleep for 1 week straight!!!) hang in there, this too shall pass