Ben's job took him to the Springs last week so we decided to join him.
It won't be much longer that we have the flexibility of preschool ;)
I've had the bug to get the heck out of dodge lately...(can you tell!?) so it's been nice taking advantage of little "staycations." I think that my urge has been satisfied...
The first stop was to see cousin Gabe at the restaurant he works at!
It was 99-cent taco night. What's not to love about that.
Note to self...must find one of those here. We fed our family of four for $14!
Mimi showing Gabe her lost tooth..
it's such a good ice breaker ;)
Then we camped out in daddy's hotel.
This little girl is an amazing sleeper and is so easy going. Mostly it's the age now, but she's so portable!
She could not WAIT to sleep on her make shift bed on the floor.
She kept exclaiming how comfortable it was...
then she asked to sleep on her floor in her sleeping bag when we got home.
This guy, on the other hand, asked to go home the minute he got in the hotel room. Then I questioned why I ever thought this would be a good idea...
But a little Veggie Tales on the DVD player and then some snuggling, and we were all off to dreamland. I think Ben and I looked at it all like good practice. Kids have to sleep out of their beds sometimes...
(lately I'm noticing how miserable Ben looks in all of our pictures. Must check in with him to about all of that...after I find out where they have 99 cent taco night in our town.)
Sorry. I have to say something...
I think Colo Spgs is WEIRD. I always feel slightly creeped out there.
I'm not sure why.
There's just a strange vibe.
But on this day, I was surprised by it's beauty that I must've overlooked
(while contemplating why it gives me the hibbie jibbies..)
The next morning we were off to the zoo.
We heard you could feed giraffes there...SOLD!
I'd actually had dreams of going there since I was a kid, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity of us being there for a day.
The drive up to the zoo is interesting...
you pass by mansions
(basically castles).
I made mention of this to Mimi and said, "look at all of these pretty houses!"
And her reply was, "awww...We only have TWO garages!"
I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious.
That that aspect is the one she focused on and suddenly felt deprived because she had only "two garages" (garage doors).
I think I probably went into a speech about being thankful for what we have at that point and she probably tuned me out.
Gabe met us there before he had to work!
These pictures were taken against the auditory backdrop of baboons screeching in the background.
We made a beeline for the giraffes
(after Mimi spent her $2 that was burning a hole in her pocket)
It was the most amazing thing to be able to PET giraffes!!!!!!
(and to look down from our high perch to see their vantage point!)
look at that tiny baby :)
Then we got to FEED them!!!!!
"Feeding the animals" was all Bode talked about on our way to the springs...
then it was all that got him to go to bed the night before..
(and was used as bribery to get him to get in his carseat, to eat his breakfast...you get the picture!) So I was glad for him to have his big moment with our spotted friends.
Next stop, monkeys!
Where we watched one monkey pick another's nose and eat it.
And my kids giggled.
I felt like we were the only ones there.
It was awesome!
Then we saw the most amazing thing...
A BABY GORILLA!
I wanted to work with gorillas when I was little. I was obsessed. I love "coco" the gorilla who knew sign language..I was a card-carrying member of WWF (and had the panda sticker to prove it) and was sure I was going to work on saving gorillas. So seeing this baby was quite the moment.
His name was Dembe and he was just born on August 16th...
How cute is he?!?!
the kids loved him too...
(especially Bode. He just wanted to keep watching him)
Then that night we had Geeps and Nana over for dinner. It was so fun to hang out (and they BROUGHT dinner!)
And Mimi picked the pumpkin that was already ripe and ready from the back yard...it was a beauty!
























No comments:
Post a Comment