In case you haven't heard, there's major flooding going on here. Somehow a rainy day, followed by another rainy day, followed by I drove to Loveland to get Mimi a raincoat has ended in floods of "biblical proportions" here in our area.
We're doing fine; thankfully we live on a hill (the same hill that I cursed every time I had to finish my long runs running directly uphill to get home, now I am thankful for you!). But there are news crews literally three or four blocks away standing in four feet of water. There's only one road into our town. It's pretty strange.
So, needless to say, we are inside. We made our grocery store run yesterday and now we're trying to find ways to occupy ourselves.
First order of business, go to the grocery store and buy lots of food and art supplies.
Second order of business, try to get "on top of" the day instead of finding myself "under" it, by having high ambitions about being a super mom fueled by Pinterest crafts.
Third, FEEL like Super Mom as your kids stand by their never-before used art easel and start writing their ABCs.
Fourth, let your kids put on boots and go outside...
Fifth, take pictures of Mimi squirting dyed vinegar in baking soda to watch it fizz. Thank you Pinterest.
(this is where, if this was a movie, the music would change and get a little more ominous-feeling...you would be able to know this is where it all changed...)
Seventh, give your two year old a try at the vinegar. If I remember correctly the pinner I stole this from said, "kept my two year old busy for hours." So I handed Bode the syringe.
He aimed for Mimi's right eye.
(on accident)
Vinegar streamed into Mimi's eye.
I then dumped massive amounts of water on her head and face hoping to catch her eye to flush it out while there was crying and shrieking.
And I felt betrayed by Pinterest for the first time.
Super Mom cape was ripped off.
Back to mortal status.
Eighth, vow to live by the motto "you win some you lose some" for the rest of the day that we were stuck inside.
(i also tried to cut something from a pattern for the first time...I'm not precise or detailed by nature, but I really TRIED this time. What the heck is wrong with me?!?!?!)
Mimi recovered and I think that our day was salvaged.
(art by Mimi)
The night ended with Ben coming home early from across the state (thank goodness) and we let the kids get out and splash in puddles). We were all a little stir crazy, but we were thankful to be safe (even though still a bit unsettled).
However, it's hard to feel anything BUT unsettled though when you have an awareness that people just blocks from you are sleeping away from their homes because of the water. So it's a weird state to be in.
It's also unsettling to wake up to this on your phone:
(must text Ash to tell her that we didn't have to evacuate...but we missed it by three blocks).
Truly, life can throw anything at us at any moment...I am resting in the fact (as I do in all of my days) that I know Who I belong to and where I'm going in the end, no matter what. So this is a good chance to rest in that.
(that sounds dramatic coming from a girl who has fairly dry sidewalks, but one can't help but think of their own mortality when others are so close to thinking about theirs. I'm thankful to rest in God ultimately in everything. What a gift that peace and assurance is. I want to stay close to Him).
****











No comments:
Post a Comment