Wednesday, September 18, 2013

More from The Flood

Today I cried with my chiropractor. I saw at least three army vehicles circa: MASH. I watched a Today Show episode on my DVR where Matt Lauer said the name of my small little town. It seems that the impact of the damage that has happened in our area over the last week is still being felt. And obviously. It's been so devastating. Even though our family is fine if you have any sort of heart or emotional pulse, it's hard not to feel crushed for those around you.

Mimi's teacher sent out an email (they're finally going back to school tomorrow). It said that she was going to give the kids ample time to share everything that they've seen and been feeling about the last week. Then I realized that I, much like a preschooler, still need to process all of this too. (Enter blog, stage left). The recent events is all I can talk or think about. I think I've rehashed a thousand times the story of people I know getting airlifted out of their community by the National Guard...and the shock when I realized (because it was explained to me by my mom) that these people probably won't see their houses again until the spring when bridges are repaired. So with two suitcases (what they were allowed) and no car, they left their home to find a new temporary one (while still needing to pay the mortgage for their vacant home).

Because of all of this, family time seems even more important as we huddle together, thankful for each other. But the shadow of what freshly transpired looms over our town and my thoughts. Today I almost cancelled a trip to the museum with friends in Denver because I saw a few billowy clouds-I didn't want to leave my small bubble for the fear that another heavy rain would come and leave us stranded from our home. Then I cancelled an appointment because we had a small, sudden downpour of rain. I think we're all living like another emergency is lurking behind every weather system.

(I neurotically recanted my cancelation of said appointment and slunk sheepishly into my chiropractor's office when I realized that the rain only lasted five minutes and that I was being dramatic. Then she confided in me that she's been feeling the same sort of anxiousness and tearfulness over everything too. Then we shed a few tears together like a couple of weirdoes and I didn't feel so alone.)

So, even though tragedy hasn't personally struck me (by the grace of God), experiencing it through the days spent glued to the TV, newspapers (who am I kidding?! Twitter) and through other peoples' stories have left a mark.

Thanks for letting me get it all out.
(I'm picturing you patting my back and saying, "there there. Let it all out..." ;) 


The Today Show


Getting out of the house for the day is hard enough, so I obviously didn't have time or the mental energy to remember to check for road closures. 

( I did however have a minute to search for the nearest Einstein's; my newest obsession. Funny how that works).


These are scary clouds though, right?
(but less scary if you imagine hamburgers coming out of them, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" style)


****

I really am glad we ventured down to the museum to be with Ali and Kari and their adorable offspring. We had the best, most low-key museum hang out. It was good for everyone's soul (speaking for the Turrill clan).



And plus, Bode could show off his cute, new outfit. Welcome to the world of 2T Mr. Bode Turrill!
 

Mom and Rodger stopped by last night and my dad today and I'm appreciating being close to people that we love more than ever.



Until I need more one-sided therapy,

-Mackenzie

1 comment:

The Larsons said...

LOVED seeing you guys!!! and thankful that your beautiful home was spared. love you guys.