Saturday, September 7, 2013

This Boy...



THIS BOY...

-Makes me HAPPY to see trains crossing our paths while we're driving and stopping traffic. One day (because we didn't have anywhere to be) I actually REJOICED when we were stopped by a stopped train. Then I drove up parallel to it like a crazy person, rolled down my window and we all cheered for the train!

-the same goes for construction. In the old days, "pre-Bode," orange cones and bulldozers would send me groaning. Not anymore! Now we shout out the names of the big machines and call them when we see them like we're finding "slug bugs." And Bode gets excited, then says they're " a-night-night." I never thought I'd love road construction so much.

This boy ALSO,

-has me sneaking his blankies away from him to wash them (especially after he drug them, "Linus" style through all of Colorado Springs. I also totally oblige in hunting down EVERY.SINGLE.BLANKIE so he can snuggle all five of them at once.

-makes me sweat at the thought of getting in or out of the car (or anywhere for that matter) because we're now in the "I DO IT!" phase of life. He wants to get IN to his carseat (which means a free pass for him to wander the van), he wants to BUCKLE his carseat (which means a lot of nervous bribery by his mom while the whole driveline at preschool is waiting for us as the line moves up ahead), he wants to get OUT of his carseat himself...which means, yep, you guessed it...more van wandering. Don't worry. It's not free for all. There's threats and punishments and bargaining...but it's the free will of a 2 year old that can send ANY mom back to their dusty bag of tricks. I get elated when I see a little bit of self-control and restraint enter the building when on those rare occasions he'll say, "Okay mommy." Then I see a glimmer of hope on the horizon.

This boy also has the whole family doing the chicken dance, hooting and hollering and turning various food items into basketballs to get him enthused about eating. I'm sure the quiet neighbors love the excitement of dinnertime at the Turrill house. But, it turns out, the boy loves praise and now he's eating like a champ! Tomatoes, avacados, pork, chicken, broccoli! And we heave huge sighs of relief to see him broadening his horizons from mac 'n cheese.

I sure love this boy.

*****

No comments: