Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hiking


(LOOK! Ben's smiling! Okay, I'm not holding him hostage...)

This was right before he said, "QUICK! Take a picture of the one hike a year that the Turrills did!" I wanted to prove him wrong and go on at least ten more before Labor Day.

We didn't.

Even when we were in Vail and surrounded by hiking trails in every direction did we hike. No, instead we "roughed it" by pushing our cushy stroller for two down the perfectly manicured sidewalk bordering the Four Seasons Hotel.

Rough.

We sure do live up to the title that my dad gave us when we were first married: "Townies." My heart really does belong to the city. But, in those moments where we did  in fact pack up our whole house for a two hour hike, I'm always glad that we did. 

On this particular hike, the further we got from our car and the parking lot, the better our moods were. At one point, five minutes in, Mimi and I were practically breaking out in song about how wonderful our day was, nature was, the weather...you name it. Man, that crisp, sweet pine-smelling air really can do a number on a person...



(notice Mimi's face BEFORE the hike....)




Mimi's face five minutes in...




About half way up the trail I was remembering how Ben took me on a few consecutive hikes when we were first dating. Feeling clever I said, "hey, remember how when we were first dating you pretended like you were all into hiking?" To which he responded, "Yeah, and remember how you went along with it like you were too?" Touche. 

I'm glad now that we don't have to power up the trail trying to impress the other person with our mountaineering skills. It's so much more fun being lazy couch potatoes together. ;)



HAPPY CAMPERS.

(I say campers, because let's face it. That's probably as close as the Turrill kids will get to camping.. ;)



P.S. this hike was sponsored by the Swansons, who lent us that hiking backpack which used to hold another cute blonde-headed boy... ;)

1 comment:

The Larsons said...

ha - we always feel SOOO less mountain-y than our friends (who aren't even from CO). Glad we're not alone :)