The Saturday before Halloween we were invited to Mimi's pal Mya's birthday party. Natalia (her mom, who Mimi actually calls "MAtalia") had the idea to incorporate Mya's party into the downtown Louisville festivities. The kids ran in a little race and then trick-or-treated at the shops and restaurants downtown.
Mimi decided to be the "wedding Rapunzel" for this occasion. (the girl was actually pulling from three costumes to choose from. And since we knew that Mya's party was a "princess theme" I didn't want my little princess addict to have remorse if she wasn't dressed in a long sparkly number too.)
After the Louisville fun, we went to Mya and Natalia's and had cake and food outside. It was CHILLY!
Fast forward to Wednesday, actual Halloween. By then we'd done the Halloween/birthday party thing, and then had Mimi's school party on Tuesday. When the real day came, I think that the magic of dressing up had lost its luster a bit. Mimi's wig for Ellie was tangled, Bode's "Up" balloons were getting wilted and I was sick of explaining their whole ensemble. It's a lot easier when your kid's a bee or a puppy dog.
So, you'll be able to tell by how the kids dressed for Trick-or-treating, that the "mom with the vision" just didn't care any more. Bode woke up from a late afternoon nap in a Mickey shirt...so BAM- he was Mickey Mouse. Throw on the souvenir ears and it was perfect (plus there was that overly sensitive and aware part of me that didn't think it was respectful for our little boy to trick-or-treat with a fake cane, dressed up as an elderly man in a neighborhood of mostly people over 65. It just didn't seem right. They'd be like, "what are you dressed as?" and we could be really funny and say, "oh you know, he's Frank, from next door! The one who has tennis balls on the end of his walker." Funny, but we didn't go there.)
Here's what Mimi would've been if it was a traditional COLD Colorado Halloween of the past:
She found it at the Lafayette Flea Market for $8. Pretty cute, right?
Mimi said it's a "Pegasus pony unicorn princess." Try to say that three times fast.
And Bode made some cameo appearances as a cute pumpkin head throughout the week:
On Halloween night we stuck to the princess thing and Mickey (we're SO owned by Disney...). I can't really put the night of trick-or-treating accurately into words without sounding completely cheesy and gushy. But let's just say that we LOVE our neighborhood. It was something out of a movie. It's warm and traditional and sweet and safe. And Ben and I just gleamed and beamed at each other the whole way around the block. I hope I never forget this first official holiday in our 'hood. I can't WAIT for Christmas :)
Bode was naturally a little apprehensive about what was going on with this whole "Trick-or-treating" thing. (He woke up from a nap, had Mickey ears shoved on his head and now was going door to door taking things from people. Very odd for sure.) But I think it was at this house where it all started to click, and when this sweet lady held out the bowl of candy for him to grab from, his hand suddenly was able to open wider than I've ever seen it before.
Afterwards we went back to our house to count the loot and Uncle Drew came over to have dinner.
(That's caramel on Bode's face...not snot ;)
****
Mimi conveniently remembered that the "Great Pumpkin" had come last year and brought her a little Barbie Mermaid. I had completely forgotten about that Great Pumpkin.
So, in the wee hours of morning, after being up with Bode, the Great Pumpkin was able to stumble into the closet to find a souvenir from the trip that was supposed to be for Christmas.
***
















No comments:
Post a Comment