It was brought to my attention recently how much I really love T.V.
On an outing with some girl pals, about an hour into it, they called me on my way to somehow fit a television reference into every conversation. I guess I didn't realize that I did that. But the more I noticed, it was so true. Sometimes I censored what I wanted to say and left out my T.V. comment, but other times I let it fly. I literally couldn't go five minutes without the urge to reference it. Yikes.
We really do like T.V. in this house. There were times in the past where I'd maybe try to deny that or not embrace it so much. We've even canceled our service from time to time to save money. But it's pretty much torture. Sitting down to watch our shows with Ben is my favorite part of the day, hands down. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
And (again something not so great to admit) I think we're fostering the same love in our kids. Listen, I know about childhood obesity. I know about the correlation of T.V. watching and reading scores (okay, I made that one up, but I'm sure there's a study). I get it. And I think our kids are pretty balanced. We have activities, read, play outside, go to preschool and BSF. But sometimes watching T.V. is just what the doctor ordered. Either so mommy doesn't lose her mind due to the CONSTANT companionship/clinging, or mommy has to make dinner or clean up an exploded diaper (or lack of diaper) from the carpet. Or because the kids need a break from all the running around and errands and playdates...just like I do. I'd like to think we have balance (most days).
And over the trip, Elmo on our portable DVD player SAVED US in the middle of the night when Bode was restless with molars coming in. There is a definite love affair sprouting.
Now the kids watch Sesame Street together in the mornings or evenings, while snuggling on the couch together. It's the sweetest thing. (and the ONLY show Bode will watch. Actually he'll only watch "Play with Me Sesame," a shorter version without people and random things..just the core crew of his faves: Ernie, Elmo, Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster and Mimi's fave, Prairie Dawn).
So it looks like we've passed on our "Mike TV" gene. We'll keep it in check, but there's days when I am VERY grateful for a quiet moment...especially if it includes a perfect opportunity for this brother and sister and a shared moment:

On an outing with some girl pals, about an hour into it, they called me on my way to somehow fit a television reference into every conversation. I guess I didn't realize that I did that. But the more I noticed, it was so true. Sometimes I censored what I wanted to say and left out my T.V. comment, but other times I let it fly. I literally couldn't go five minutes without the urge to reference it. Yikes.
We really do like T.V. in this house. There were times in the past where I'd maybe try to deny that or not embrace it so much. We've even canceled our service from time to time to save money. But it's pretty much torture. Sitting down to watch our shows with Ben is my favorite part of the day, hands down. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
And (again something not so great to admit) I think we're fostering the same love in our kids. Listen, I know about childhood obesity. I know about the correlation of T.V. watching and reading scores (okay, I made that one up, but I'm sure there's a study). I get it. And I think our kids are pretty balanced. We have activities, read, play outside, go to preschool and BSF. But sometimes watching T.V. is just what the doctor ordered. Either so mommy doesn't lose her mind due to the CONSTANT companionship/clinging, or mommy has to make dinner or clean up an exploded diaper (or lack of diaper) from the carpet. Or because the kids need a break from all the running around and errands and playdates...just like I do. I'd like to think we have balance (most days).
And over the trip, Elmo on our portable DVD player SAVED US in the middle of the night when Bode was restless with molars coming in. There is a definite love affair sprouting.
Now the kids watch Sesame Street together in the mornings or evenings, while snuggling on the couch together. It's the sweetest thing. (and the ONLY show Bode will watch. Actually he'll only watch "Play with Me Sesame," a shorter version without people and random things..just the core crew of his faves: Ernie, Elmo, Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster and Mimi's fave, Prairie Dawn).
So it looks like we've passed on our "Mike TV" gene. We'll keep it in check, but there's days when I am VERY grateful for a quiet moment...especially if it includes a perfect opportunity for this brother and sister and a shared moment:
***
This is ALL Bode will watch. Nothing else. So when someone else gets to choose the show, he gets mad and points at the T.V. and grunts. Well, he knows what he likes!
No comments:
Post a Comment