Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

TURKEY DAY!

I started the day with a little gluten free pumpkin pie and coffee...the perfect combination of course.

I needed energy for the THIRD ANNUAL Turrill Turkey Trot with this turkey!



(I also needed to run because I was channeling Paula Dean for our green bean casserole recipe)






Mimi insisted on running this year. Adorable.
(she also insisted on bringing her stocking with us after she relentlessly asked for it to be unearthed from the Christmas boxes in the basement)











During our run we made a pit stop at our friends house to feed their cat Mack.
It's so precious to have neighbor/friends!!! (especially ones who live on the golf course and have a slide and climby thing!)


I love my turkeys.









This girl was READY to get her Christmas on!!!! 
(Mama and Daddy were not).
I tried to distract her by having her watch the Macy's Day parade (and looking for our beloved Caldwells who were THERE!!!)



After taking a shower and enjoying more pumpkin pie in solitude (yes, I'm a gluten free pumpkin pie hoarder. It was going to be a hard day to be a 
gluten-y glutenson. Most days it doesn't even factor in...not hard at all. But Thanksgiving...?!?! Goodbye stuffing, goodbye pie! Goodbye gravy! So that's how I rationalized eating a whole pie in my bedroom ;)

(okay, not the WHOLE pie. I did save some for the next morning to have while watching Christmas movies and addressing Christmas cards with Mimi. Oh and for that night, getting up with Bode at 1 am. Healthy.)


So on the tail of that confession, here's another one.

We ate before Thanksgiving dinner.

Woa. It feels good to get off our chests.

You see, Ben's family bucks the tradition of eating Thanksgiving mid-day and waits until nighttime. It's hard to wait! We had planned to go to the museum to spend the day, but as this stage of life goes, Bode's sleeping didn't really align, so by the time he was up from a good Thanksgiving snooze, it was too late. 

By 3:00, Mama was ANTSY and needed to get out of the house.

So Ben suggested we go to the Dickens. It's a cute little Longmont landmark/restaurant. It was a little odd being there. We looked like the family who had no family and needed to go out to eat on Thanksgiving. Nope, just grabbing a burger and fries before we head to Thanksgiving meal of course. Duh.



cute little pink clogs :)





This may have been right before Bode took a big chunk out of that foam pumpkin. With his mouth.


Holding our secret of a "pre-Thanksgiving" snack of a burger close to our chests, we finally headed to BT and Oma's house. The fun was about to begin!!! 
Mimi was OVER THE MOON about seeing her cousins. I love seeing how her relationship to them has evolved. I remember bringing her in her baby seat for her first Thanksgiving. Then slowly, for each family event, she was able to run after them and then finally play WITH her cousins. So cute.

She loves Fiona the most.




Here were the lovely set tables:





Our hot hosts!

Mimi and Bode frolicking in the backyard....











Bode kept putting cherry tomatoes in his mouth, biting them, then putting them back- by the handfuls. 


Bode also had a little admirer...Olivia. She kept saying, "Bode's SOOOO cute. I just want to hold him!" (a.k.a. can I hold him?!?!)

So she did. And it was adorable. His feet were practically touching the floor.






Benny's been deemed the "prayer guy" at any family event. And that makes me proud :)

This boy got after some mashed potatoes!



While Mimi ate with the cousins at the official "kid table" :)


Then Bode's mood turned...

He was tired!!!


Nothing that a little Play with Me Sesame wouldn't fix...





When I walked into the "kids table" I said "Mimi, are you eating?!" and she proudly and unassumingly said, "Yeah. I'm done!" That's what her "done" plate looked like. But after a little peer pressure, cousin-style, she ate a little more.


I had left Bode cozy on the couch to watch his favorite show. Then when I glanced over to check on him, this is what I saw:



Love that Livi!

 A good night was had by all, capped off by the traditional "beater licking" of the whipped cream made by Aunt Karen.

****


(The next morning we decorated for Christmas, much to Mimi's joy!)

No comments: