As most of you know, I'm not watching my little daycare guy Levi any more. It just wasn't working out on so many different levels. It took awhile to admit that and move on. And the minute I said I couldn't do it any more and our life was back to the way it was, I literally heard angels singing (or it may have just been the intro song to "Play with Me Sesame" in the background, but either way there was much rejoicing). I soaked up my kids in a way I hadn't been able to in so long. I relished in the freedom that we have when we fill our own schedule (or don't) without the time constraints and extra kiddo. I suddenly didn't take for granted how wonderful it is to stay in P.J.s past 8:00 o'clock! I'm so grateful for moments like this that God gives me; to have my world drastically changed and the every day, mundane things I take for granted, taken away, just so I can see how great they really are. The same thing happened when we thought we were moving to CA- right after we found out we weren't, I wanted to see every friend I thought I was going to be leaving, said yes to every dinner invitation, just because I wanted to soak up the community we had created here in CO.
So, needless to say, our life is easier here lately, and the trip felt like a good "reset" button. When we walked back into our home after getting off the plane, I felt a rush of inspiration, excitement and peace about the fall that I hadn't felt in at least a couple of months. (But, it's amazing how fast being back into "real life" has already beat down that feeling at times. Yes, two of my own is MUCH easier than three, but it's still super tough!!!)
This is all long backstory to say that I'm not a home daycare provider anymore, but in that door closing, I was frantically looking for another source of income to replace that.
Enter a great friend, with a great connection, and BAM! I have a job where I'm working from home. And it's legit! It's an awesome blessing, but it's been so hilarious trying to re-enter "professional life." (And by professional life I mean sitting at my computer in my Broncos sweatpants typing on a computer. But still, I have to correspond with people who are dressed, and have company jargon and use terms like "bandwidth" like it's going out of style). I've had MAJOR insecurities...it's hard to step out of your comfort zone, even if it's virtually. It's been awhile since I've been accountable to anyone else for anything that had much repercussions. Suddenly I'm brushing up on my spreadsheet knowledge (or trying to gain some) and writing invoices (or asking said friend how to do it). It's just been interesting for me. Thankfully the work is sporadic so it doesn't consume all my days and I still have fun time with the kiddos to be flexible.
But today I had to be on a phone call with a woman from the company, explaining the new project she needed help with. Long story short, she scheduled to call me at a certain time, but sent an iphone invitation for a half an hour earlier than that, as a little reminder/warning. I was confused and sat my kids in front of Elmo thirty minutes before I needed to. So picture amazingly, angel quiet kids for 20 minutes, that turn restless RIGHT when I was about to get the call. I threw a couple gogurts at Mimi and Bode and rushed upstairs to create the illusion that I had no kids and was the most professional, capable girl for the job. The woman went on and on about what the project was and I feverishly took notes. Which was hard because it was like she was speaking in Chinese. Acronyms were flying and there was lots of talk about hiding and unhiding columns on Excel, etc...and I just kept writing, hoping I could get my magic decoder ring out afterwards to make sense of it all. I was literally sweating through my torn P.J. shirt.
When the call was over, I went to see the wreckage, much like Dorothy climbing out of her house after the tornado. I had tried to block out Bode's loud "MAMA! MAMA!" and other disturbing noises coming from my offspring downstairs. I didn't really care...I just needed to get through that call.
What I walked into and saw was this:
And this:
Bode was spooning oatmeal into my coffee and Mimi informed me that she saved Bode from several instances of grave danger. I was just thankful to have that over with, and wondered really what I had gotten myself into.
Shortly after that Bode went to bed and I promised Mimi a pony if she would play by herself so I could start working on the project. (Okay, not a pony but clothes for her Build-A-Bear ;) She played by herself like a champ (which is not always her strong suit these days). I think this arrangement will work out. And if I'm not stressing out about this, it's something else. Having a little side job helps me order my life a bit, and keeps me on my toes. I keep telling myself that at least ;) We'll see how it goes. I'll trust that the God who gave me this opportunity will also carve out the times and space for it (which actually has happened...the last project I completed on one of Ben's half days that only come every other week and this week I have Ben at home all of Veteran's Day).
***
So, needless to say, our life is easier here lately, and the trip felt like a good "reset" button. When we walked back into our home after getting off the plane, I felt a rush of inspiration, excitement and peace about the fall that I hadn't felt in at least a couple of months. (But, it's amazing how fast being back into "real life" has already beat down that feeling at times. Yes, two of my own is MUCH easier than three, but it's still super tough!!!)
This is all long backstory to say that I'm not a home daycare provider anymore, but in that door closing, I was frantically looking for another source of income to replace that.
Enter a great friend, with a great connection, and BAM! I have a job where I'm working from home. And it's legit! It's an awesome blessing, but it's been so hilarious trying to re-enter "professional life." (And by professional life I mean sitting at my computer in my Broncos sweatpants typing on a computer. But still, I have to correspond with people who are dressed, and have company jargon and use terms like "bandwidth" like it's going out of style). I've had MAJOR insecurities...it's hard to step out of your comfort zone, even if it's virtually. It's been awhile since I've been accountable to anyone else for anything that had much repercussions. Suddenly I'm brushing up on my spreadsheet knowledge (or trying to gain some) and writing invoices (or asking said friend how to do it). It's just been interesting for me. Thankfully the work is sporadic so it doesn't consume all my days and I still have fun time with the kiddos to be flexible.
But today I had to be on a phone call with a woman from the company, explaining the new project she needed help with. Long story short, she scheduled to call me at a certain time, but sent an iphone invitation for a half an hour earlier than that, as a little reminder/warning. I was confused and sat my kids in front of Elmo thirty minutes before I needed to. So picture amazingly, angel quiet kids for 20 minutes, that turn restless RIGHT when I was about to get the call. I threw a couple gogurts at Mimi and Bode and rushed upstairs to create the illusion that I had no kids and was the most professional, capable girl for the job. The woman went on and on about what the project was and I feverishly took notes. Which was hard because it was like she was speaking in Chinese. Acronyms were flying and there was lots of talk about hiding and unhiding columns on Excel, etc...and I just kept writing, hoping I could get my magic decoder ring out afterwards to make sense of it all. I was literally sweating through my torn P.J. shirt.
When the call was over, I went to see the wreckage, much like Dorothy climbing out of her house after the tornado. I had tried to block out Bode's loud "MAMA! MAMA!" and other disturbing noises coming from my offspring downstairs. I didn't really care...I just needed to get through that call.
What I walked into and saw was this:
And this:
And this:
"Mom! I took something dangerous away from Bode!"
GREAT. Mom of the year.
Bode was spooning oatmeal into my coffee and Mimi informed me that she saved Bode from several instances of grave danger. I was just thankful to have that over with, and wondered really what I had gotten myself into.
Shortly after that Bode went to bed and I promised Mimi a pony if she would play by herself so I could start working on the project. (Okay, not a pony but clothes for her Build-A-Bear ;) She played by herself like a champ (which is not always her strong suit these days). I think this arrangement will work out. And if I'm not stressing out about this, it's something else. Having a little side job helps me order my life a bit, and keeps me on my toes. I keep telling myself that at least ;) We'll see how it goes. I'll trust that the God who gave me this opportunity will also carve out the times and space for it (which actually has happened...the last project I completed on one of Ben's half days that only come every other week and this week I have Ben at home all of Veteran's Day).
***



1 comment:
It's tough, and I totally know the feeling of having a screaming child during a call... I pray silently while the person is talking that my sweet baby will (forgive me) SHUT UP! :) just take on whatever you can handle and try to stay un-overwhelmed... New routines get much easier with time (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of these days!!) :)
Post a Comment