Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Self-Talk





I remember someone saying once that trying to keep up with housework while you're a stay-at-home mom (SAHM-that's for you Caldwells ;) is like trying to shovel snow in a snowstorm: it never ends and never looks like you've made progress. Talk about maddening! It's hard to pick up, clean and organize while someone is right behind you undoing it all. And in a job that doesn't have any clear performance markers, or tasks that have a beginning or end, it can get really frustrating. So often in my day I envision what I must look like to God...a hamster just runnin' on the wheel. It's tiring.


So I've started adopting a pep talk that I say to myself. It goes like this:


(I wish I had a cuter font to talk to myself in, but this is all I have ;)


Hey self. I know that you have that bulleted to do list written out on the counter. It makes you feel like you have SOME thing to show for your day and less overwhelmed. But as you scurry around the house trying to accomplish all of these things, just remember: You're not going to finish this to do list. You know that right?! And it's okay. Try not to have a good or bad day, measured by your productivity. You're just shoveling in the snowstorm. 


And another thing I think in my head is from another mom's blog.


This pile of laundry (or insert dishes/toys/etc...)will always be here, but my babies won't.


That's a good one. I helps me to remember that spending time with my kids is really the most important part of my job. (But I don't think it's wrong to try to do it in a semi-liveable house. It makes the grownups in the house feel more at peace. Maybe the kids too. They just can't say it ;)


Again, as I was thinking this, the PERFECT MOPS email came, basically spelling this all out in another mom's words. I won't infringe on the author's copyrights, but if you want me to send it to you over email, I will. It's nice to have a little encouragement.


****

2 comments:

rodger said...

You have a great attitude Mackenzie ! Never been a S AHM but have the ultimate respect for you. Next time we see each other remind me to tel you my thoughts on the matter from a dads point of view :-)

Caldwell Family said...

ha ha ha...thanks for the shout out! love the analogy of the snowstorm! puts it into perspective. it might put a smile on your face to know that i just forced myself to put away all the dishes and told myself once i finished the task i could go check out team turrill as a little reward:)